Tuesday 5 April 2011

Yamaha XS650D Rebuild - The Engine

The engine on my bike has always had a few minor oil leaks, it's also never run just as I would like and the clutch has always been knackered. It is also quite scruffy.

First job when I was stripping the bike was to remove the clutch hub nut, I expected it to be tight so that was an 'in the frame' job. The motor had clearly been stripped before and sadly the clutch had been fitted by some one with the strength of 50 men who couldn't read a torque wrench. The hub nut was so tight that not only did my clutch holding tool bend like a banana but the clutch basket smashed, bastard! Once I got it undone, out came the motor and into hundreds of pieces. The whole things was in quite good condition so various parts went for vapour blasting along with the carbs that had an ultrasonic clean.

Barrels before.
 Barrels after.

Once I started I got a bit carried away and got the urge for a bit more oomph, so..........The head went off with DHL to the Cylinder Head Shop. Once in the hands of Len Patterson it got a fast road gas flow, remachined combustion chambers, remachined valves and a 5 angle valve seats and then it was vapour blasted to within an inch of it's life.

The motor is now going back together, this is as it was yesterday.




No comments:

Post a Comment